Oil & Gas
To demonstrate the culmination of its mine coordination efforts, a Canadian oil sands mining company wanted to set a new record and move one million tons of material in a day.
- Move 1 million tons of material in a 24-hour period with client’s own assets, using best demonstrated practices.
- Moved over 1 million tons of material in one 24-hour period, beating all previous records.
- Improved productivity by 377%.
- Never compromised safety.
Move One Million Tons of Material in a Day
To demonstrate the culmination of its mine orchestration and coordination improvement activities, a Canadian oil sands mining company wanted to move one million tons of material in a day—more than ever before!
The Highland Group developed a methodology to optimize truck and shovel utilization through short-interval management, operator switch-outs and shift “hot change” processes. The methodology was executed using a critical path, activity-based, coordinated approach.
Achieved Driver Goal despite two major barriers:
- 30% of the shovels were down at the beginning of shift.
- Power failure (outside mine) shut down ore transport systems for three hours.
Moved 1 million tons in 1 day, representing an improvement over the base period of