Major U.S. provider of deli products needed to cut costs and increase profits while improving product quality (reducing consumer complaints) and customer service.
- Reduce consumer complaints by implementing statistical process control methodology.
Reduced consumer complaints by 35%, while identifying $2.4 million in cost of quality savings.
Improve Quality, Reduce Costs & Ensure Process Excellence
A major U.S. provider of deli products needed to cut costs and increase profits while improving product quality (reducing consumer complaints) and customer service.
The Highland Group conducted a Discovery and Design analysis, in which current and future state process and product variation points were documented and gaps identified. Examined gaps to determine where the greatest or most immediate benefits could be derived by implementing statistical process control (SPC).
- Determined which process or product characteristics should be monitored with SPC.
- Designed or upgraded data collection, recording and charting methods.
- Conducted training on how to interpret and act upon SPC results.
Trained front-line employees to collect and chart data on a day-to-day basis, and perform basic interpretation of results and take immediate action.
- Trained technical and quality professionals in deeper understanding of statistical principles and interpretation of results.
- Calculated process capability of key processes and identified design engineering and equipment upgrade needs.
- Developed plant-level action items for reporting and follow-up.
- Designed or upgraded and implemented additional “SPC Management Reporting” and a “Plant SPC Audit Process.”
Reduced customer complaints by