World leader in the design and manufacture of aviation products and services wanted to reduce the number of hours required to build two models of its aircraft by 20% to 30%.
- Reduce the labor required to build two models of aircraft by 20% to 30%.
- Reduced personnel by 11.7%.
- Improved kitting accuracy by 25%, from 74% to 99%.
- Improved inventory accuracy by 7%, from 88% to 95%.
Reduce Hours-per-Unit Cost
A world leader in the design and manufacture of aviation products and services for the business, regional and amphibious aircraft markets wanted to reduce the number of hours required to build two models of its aircraft by 20% to 30%.
The Highland Group facilitated the definition of high-level Driver Goals, then implemented a goal roll-down process to create actionable performance objectives for every level of the organization. An analysis of the operation identified and detailed opportunities for improvement, which were targeted by chartered teams coached by Highland Group professionals.
- Developed and implemented a goal alignment process that communicated organizational goals and objectives from the executive level to the hourly personnel.
- Chartered teams improved productivity by: developing new processes to eliminate non-value-added activities and establishing and implementing new procedures.
- Developed an improved method to present material to the production floor in an orderly manner while ensuring material is placed in assigned locations, minimizing packaging material and other clutter.
- Developed and implemented a parts replenishment system that delivers kitted parts to production work centers when needed.
- Developed and implemented a supplier audit and performance measurement system.
- Established and implemented a System For Managing that integrates systems, tools, processes and people to effectively manage the organization.
Reduced material shortages by up to