Copper mine needed to improve performance by reducing costs and/or improving operational performance through enhanced contractor management.
- Reduce Contractor/Vendor spend by R47 million annually
- Identified R52.1 million in savings opportunities in the targeted contracts selected by the General Managers of each area.
- Delivered R29.9 million in savings.
Contractor & Vendor Management
A South Africa-based copper mine need to improve business performance by reducing costs and/or improving operational performance of targeted areas through enhanced contractor and vendor management (CVM).
Within each area targeted by the General Manager (Underground, Concentrator, Copper Processing and Mine Wide), The Highland Group conducted an analysis to identify and prioritize improvement opportunities and to develop a high-level approach and benefits plan.
The Highland Group partnered with client teams to:
- Develop an objective Contractor Scorecard to measure the performance of contractors based on the scope.
- Implement targeted actions to improve operating productivity and/or efficiency.
- Design and implement structured systems to sustain the results and continuously improve the operational areas.
Define and implement new processes to reduce Contractor/Vendor spend through:
- Compliance to common procurement principles of effective negotiations.
- Retendering of current service requirements.
- Elimination of out of scope CV activities.
Delivered savings of over
“We [GMs] have a clear path and we all are taking responsibility to obtain the benefits and will walk away with a sustainable process.”
General Manager, Concentrator